Unlike its more glamorous dairy cousins – cheese, ice-cream and flavoured yoghurt – curd has been a staple of most Indian diets and hence, much ignored. Curd has a number of health and nutritional benefits, and eating curd every day helps your system stay cool, improves your digestive system, and helps get rid of stomach problems.
Here’s why you should make curd a part of your everyday diet:
1. It boosts your digestion system and works best for stomach upsets, indigestion, bloating, etc.
2. High in calcium and protein, beneficial for those who are lactose intolerant and can’t take in milk.
3. Best cure for a hangover – Drink responsibly, but if you have side-effects occasionally, curd could be a big help.
4. It works as an energy booster. It also hydrates your body and works as an antioxidant.
5. Great for hair and skin – You can apply it directly, but consuming a cup a day shows results too.
6. Best form of fat – curd has the same nutritional value as milk.
7. Stress buster and mood lifter – Curd is a great mood lifter. Flavoured yoghurt especially helps deal with lows.
8. Increases immunity and defence mechanism of the body.
9. Improves the absorption of vitamins and minerals from other foods in your body.
10. Best comfort food for all seasons, swear curd-eating people in South India – especially Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh!
Here’s one way to have curd with your evening snack: my favourite hung curd dip.
1. Hang about 5 cups of curd in a muslin cloth for 4-5 hours
2. In the hung curd, mix in grated cheese, chopped parsley, coriander, spring onions, salt, pepper, green chillies
3. Keep tasting to check seasoning (adding in extra cheese makes it more yummy!)
4. Enjoy with chopped carrots, cucumbers or some hot chips!